Do you avoid visiting the dentist due to fear or dental anxiety? Is your oral health suffering due to a lack of routine dental care?
Thompson Advanced Dentistry is home to a dedicated and caring team of dental professionals who are both trained and experienced in dental sedation. We help you receive the dental care you need or desire in a relaxed, caring environment where you feel heard and respected.
Sedation dentistry can be the solution for anxious and fearful patients and anyone facing an invasive or complex dental procedure to address concerns or cosmetic goals. Dr. Thompson works with patients individually to recommend the appropriate type of dental sedation when necessary, ensuring your comfort and safety during your time in our Greeley dentist office.
Sedation also allows us to give quality dental care to patients with movement disorders or special needs. We want to be able to safely give them dental care with the tools and instruments necessary to provide it. Sedation can calm random movements, tics, and gag reflexes, leading to comfortable care for any patient.
Dental Sedation: Options to Consider
Dr. Thompson offers a full range of dental sedation options and works with patients to meet their needs and provide safe, comfortable care. We will discuss your medical history before recommending or administering sedation and discuss all aspects of what to expect before, during, and after your treatment.
- Oral sedation: Dr. Thompson may prescribe an oral sedative to help you feel relaxed and calm but enable you to be responsive during your procedure. Oral sedation often begins with an at-home dose and takes time to wear off, requiring patients to be escorted to and from their appointment.
- Nitrous Oxide: Also known as “laughing gas”, a tiny cannula under the nose administers nitrous oxide. It takes effect and wears off quickly, making it easier for patients to resume daily activities soon after treatment.
- IV sedation: Dr. Thompson is one of few local dentists offering IV sedation for patients. With IV sedation, you will feel as if you are “asleep” and have little or no memory of the procedure after.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Thompson in our Greeley dental office if you want to discuss the benefits of sedation dentistry and explore your options. We welcome new patients and provide personalized dental care, considering your concerns and fears so you can get back to enjoying a healthy, confident smile.
Dental Sedation FAQs
Is sedation dentistry safe for all ages?
Yes, oral conscious sedation options are safe for all ages in a controlled environment and administered by a certified professional. Dentists sedate patients to alleviate dental anxiety in fearful patients, reduce and eliminate pain, and more. The practice has been used for decades.
What does oral sedation feel like?
When you are administered oral sedation, you may start to feel like you are very happy and confident without care. You may feel drowsy but won’t fall asleep.
Does oral sedation put you to sleep?
If administered correctly, you will not fall asleep. A dental professional will closely monitor you to make sure you are comfortable and medically stable during treatment.
What are the side effects of sedation?
- feelings of heaviness or sluggishness.
- loss of memory of what happened during the procedure (amnesia)
- slow reflexes.
- low blood pressure.
- feeling sick.