Do you avoid visiting the dentist due to fear or dental anxiety? Is your oral health suffering due to a lack of routine dental care?
Thompson Advanced Dentistry is home to a dedicated and caring team of dental professionals who are both trained and experienced in dental sedation. We are committed to helping you receive the dental care you need or desire in a relaxed, caring environment where you feel heard and respected.
Sedation dentistry can be the solution for anxious and fearful patients and for anyone facing an invasive or complex dental procedure to address concerns or cosmetic goals. Dr. Thompson works with patients on an individual basis to recommend the appropriate type of dental sedation when necessary, ensuring both your comfort and safety during your time in our Greeley dentist office.
Dental Sedation: Options to Consider
Dr. Thompson offers a full range of dental sedation options and works with patients to meet their needs and provide safe, comfortable care. We will discuss your medical history before recommending or administering sedation and go over all aspects of what to expect before, during and after your treatment.
- Oral sedation: Dr. Thompson may prescribe an oral sedative to help you feel relaxed and calm but enabling you to be responsive during your procedure. Oral sedation often begins with an at home dose and takes some time to wear off, requiring patients to be escorted to and from their appointment.
- Nitrous Oxide: also known as “laughing gas”, nitrous oxide is administered through a tiny cannula placed below the nose. It takes effect and wears off quickly, making it easier for patients to resume daily activities soon after treatment.
- IV sedation: Dr. Thompson is one of few local dentists offering IV sedation for patients. With IV sedation, you will feel as if you are “asleep” and have little or no memory of the procedure after.
If you would like to discuss the benefits of sedation dentistry and explore your personal options schedule an appointment with Dr. Thompson in our Greeley dental office. We welcome new patients and provide personalized dental care, taking into consideration your concerns and fears so that you can get back to enjoying a healthy, confident smile.
Dental Sedation FAQs
Is sedation dentistry safe for all ages?
Yes, oral conscious sedation options are safe for all ages in a controlled environment and administered by a certified professional. Dental sedation has been used for decades to alleviate dental anxiety in fearful patients, to reduce and eliminate pain, and more.
What does oral sedation feel like?
When you are administered oral sedation, you may start to feel like you are very happy and confident without a care. You may feel drowsy, but won’t fall asleep.
Does oral sedation put you to sleep?
If administered correctly, you will not fall asleep. You will be closely monitored by a dental professional to make sure you are comfortable and medically stable during treatment.
What are the side effects of sedation?
- feelings of heaviness or sluggishness.
- loss of memory of what happened during the procedure (amnesia)
- slow reflexes.
- low blood pressure.
- feeling sick.