Does your jaw click or pop? Do you experience headaches, neck or ear pain?
These are all common signs of a temporomandibular disorder, commonly called to TMJ. Bite problems can have a detrimental impact on your dental health and your quality of life, often causing discomfort and symptoms that can make chewing difficult for some patients. Dr. Thompson is a Greeley dentist with advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of bite disorders. He works with patients on an individual basis to evaluate all aspects of their smile, the function of the bite and to meet your oral health needs with personalized care.
Common signs of TMJ can include:
- Clicking or popping jaw joint
- Jaw pain, tired jaws
- Frequent headaches, especially in the morning
- Ear pain or feeling of fullness
- Neck pain and stiffness, especially in the morning
- Worn teeth, teeth that become chipped or cracked
Advanced TMJ Treatment in Greeley, CO
Dr. Thompson is a graduate of the Dawson Academy, one of the premier teaching facilities for dental professionals with a focus on a complete approach to the care of your smile. As a Dawson trained dentist, Dr. Thompson has the knowledge and skill to offer a more thorough analysis of your dental health and how the function of your bite relates to your dental health concerns.
For lasting, effective TMJ treatment it is important to identify and address the root cause, not just treat your concerns symptomatically. Using modern techniques and technology, Dr. Thompson will create a treatment plan for your unique needs with the goal of restoring balance and comfort to the bite and stabilizing your dental health. If there are cosmetic concerns as a result of teeth grinding or malocclusion, we will offer appropriate treatment so that you can achieve a healthy and beautiful smile.
TMJ treatment can include:
- Mouthguards and splint therapy: a custom made mouthguard or splint, also known as a nightguard, can be designed to help reposition the bite and eliminate teeth grinding.
- Restorative dental treatments: to address tooth damage and to realign how the teeth make contact when biting, Dr. Thompson may recommend tooth bonding, dental crowns and other restorative treatments.
- Orthodontics: if malocclusion or crooked teeth are considered a cause of your bite problem we offer short term orthodontics using clear aligners. For more complex needs, Dr. Thompson may refer you to a local orthodontist.
The impact of a TMJ disorder: why is bite health important?
Many patients suffer unnecessarily with an uncomfortable or uneven feeling bite. An undiagnosed or untreated bite problem has a wide-ranging impact on your oral and overall health. From pain and muscle tension in and around the jaw to worn and damaged teeth, TMJ can degrade your dental health and the appearance of your smile over time.
Dr. Thompson and the dental care team at Thompson Advanced Dentistry work with you to restore the function, health, and aesthetics of your smile when developing a TMJ treatment plan. Having a bite that allows for comfortable chewing and teeth that make contact without creating pressure points will support the stability of your long term oral health.
Without treatment, TMJ and the symptoms you may be experiencing can lead to other complex dental problems. In addition to an increased risk of decay and gum disease, you may find it difficult to eat certain types of food and to speak comfortably.
Schedule A TMJ Consultation in Greeley
If you have been diagnosed with TMJ or have concerns about the function and health of your bite, schedule an appointment with Dr. Thompson to discuss treatment options. His experience and training provide the foundation for re-establishing your dental health and relieving discomfort. Contact our office at 970.205.9614 or request an appointment with Dr. Thompson online. We welcome new patients and serve many local communities including Windsor and Kersey, CO.