Dr. Joseph Thompson offers comprehensive treatment for patients that suffer from a temporomandibular disorder, also referred to as TMJ. Dr. Thompson is an experienced general and restorative dentist that knows the signs and symptoms of a bite disorder. He will evaluate your entire mouth to accurately diagnose your TMJ and find the right treatment for you. Depending on the severity of your condition and the damage done, there are several treatment options you may need to address your TMJ.
Thompson Advanced Dentistry is welcoming new patients to their Greeley dentist office. As an expert in treating TMJ disorders, we attract patients from other cities including Evans, CO. Contact us today if you are interested in scheduling a consultation with Dr. Thompson and to learn more about the TMJ treatments we offer.
The temporomandibular joints are located on both sides of your face and are responsible for, along with various muscles, keeping the jaw connected to the skull. TMJ refers to various conditions that cause pain in and around those joints. There are many things that can lead to issues with these joints including arthritis, overuse, an improper bite, constant teeth grinding, and trauma to the face.
TMJ has the potential to be very painful. Most patients suffer greatly and their quality of life is significantly low. Diagnosing this condition is not always easy since the symptoms can often be attributed to other medical conditions. If you suffer from the following symptoms please share this with Dr. Thompson. He will then do an in-depth examination of your entire occlusal system.
- Chronic headaches
- Locked jaw
- Stiff jaw muscles
- Popping noises when you move your jaw
- Muscle pain in the jaw or face
- Pressure, ringing, or pain in the ear
- Pain when opening your mouth or eating
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Sharp pain on the face
- Facial swelling
Advanced TMJ Treatment
We offer several advanced treatments options for TMJ that are effective. Our ultimate goal is to help you find relief from the pain and discomfort so that you can live a normal life again. Having a functional, comfortable smile is an important part of your overall and oral health. Dr. Thompson offers the following TMJ treatments to his patients from Evans, CO:
- Mouthguard or splint therapy – A night guard is a simple but effective way to treat nighttime teeth grinding. It should also be worn after any major restorative work to prevent damage. They are custom-made from impressions of your teeth to fit comfortably in your mouth.
- Restorative Dentistry Treatments – You may require restorative dental work to bring your bite into proper alignment. This will allow your jaw to open and close in a way that eliminates stress on the temporomandibular joints. Treatments include tooth bonding, dental crowns, or other effective treatments
- Orthodontics – Crooked teeth can easily contribute to bite problems that cause TMJ pain. Orthodontic treatments such as clear aligners are a discreet way to bring your teeth back into proper alignment. Dr. Thompson offers Invisalign for mild to moderate cases.